About Me

My photo
We are what we think & my blog entries reflect how I think. Have a sip of the poison of my mind.. It's not always lethal.

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Me - The Rookie Pokémon Go Trainer

Niantic Lab's augmented reality game Pokémon Go hit the shores of the region I'm living in yesterday and I got my mitts on it. Before this, I've been keeping tabs of the actual gameplay on YouTube by overseas folks who already got the game earlier and I'm seriously liking the AR (augmented reality) mechanics of the game.

I find it really intriguing that Pokémon (yes, the plural for Pokémon is "Pokémon") and game supplies can appear around your immediate surroundings virtually as you walk around in real life, as opposed to just doing things in a virtual world with you just sitting in front of your phone in a static, unmoving location. It adds another dimension to the one we are living in, so to speak - Kinda loosely parallel to seeing ghosts but through the display of your phone, for lack of a better description. Ha.

It's already technically the next day after the game's launch here, since the time now is 1am plus in the morning - the time I'm deciding right here and right now to launch the game for the very first time to experience the intrigue I've been feeling about the game's mechanics. I planned to go for my pre-dawn run later anyway at 5am, so I may as well launch the game now and set things up.

Upon launching the game, the GPS nails my location and the game presents a choice of 3 starter Pokémon for me to choose one from - Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur. I've never played any Pokémon game prior to this and I chose Charmander as my starter Pokémon based on advice I came across somewhere online. You can also get Pikachu as your starter Pokémon instead if you wish to do so.

Actually, it doesn't really matter which Pokémon you choose from the get-go since their CPs and stats will be too low to do anything significant anyway, and upgrading them will be a waste of resources. You want to hunt for stronger Pokémon out in the wild with stronger stats that better justify you spending your upgrade resources on.

I threw the red and white ball and netted Charmander right within my hall. My very first virgin experience of augmented reality is intriguing, to say the least. I'm actually finding myself smiling. Looking at the map and clicking on gyms and Pokéstops which are actual landmarks in my neighbourhood, complete with accurate photos depicting how they look like in real life is making me excited enough to get all prepped up to get out there and play the game. But since I'm going for my run in just a few short hours' time, I gotta hold myself back for awhile.

PoGo in the great outdoors

It's now coming to 5am in the morning and reaching the ground floor of my block, a Bellsprout pops out on my map and I proceed to net it. I know it's much easier to net catches in non-AR mode but I don't care, I like better gaming 'realism', so it's AR mode for me all the way. To me, playing in non-AR mode is playing the game on 'easy' setting while AR mode is 'normal' setting. Pick your cherry.

Walking past the playground near my block on my way to my jogging route, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that a crowd has already gathered there playing the game this early in the pre-dawn hours. The feeling akin to game-camaraderie is definitely in the air before the sun even comes up. What a great start.

It is at this playground that I'm coming across my very first Pokéstop and the photo of the Pokéstop showing in the game nails the depiction of the actual thing in real life, which adds major plus points in my book for AR. Heady. Spin, collect my supplies and find myself smiling again. I even netted a 2km egg. Boy, this game can get pregnant and give birth to things.

Reaching the start point of my running route in the next neighbouring estate, I left the game in the foreground and locked my phone's screen as I begin my run, thinking that by doing so, I'll conserve battery while clocking the kilometres for the egg I just found.

In hindsight, you are supposed to leave the game running without locking your screen or minimising the game to the background in order for it to clock the distance. That's a boo-boo on my part which I didn't know then.


Now that I'm done with my run, I'm walking towards the playground (different one from the one earlier) in the middle of my running area where I always do my statics, post-run cooldown and stretching exercises. The time now is just about 5:30am and there's already this dude scooting about on his battery-powered standing scooter hunting for Pokémon, amongst other players slugging it out on foot. Smart guy. For a game like PoGo, PMDs (personal mobility devices) and bicycles are the best practical tools to use for the hunt.

Walking around the playground and coming across a Ponyta for the very first time, I'm feeling thrilled while trying to figure out if it's actually a flaming unicorn as I throw Pokéballs at it. Too bad your game character can't ride it after you net it.

There's another Pokéstop at the playground here where I collected additional supplies. I'm now wandering about the area before making my way home, checking the map on my phone whenever it's safe to do so for more Pokémon to net. I don't wanna trip or crash into someone and vice-versa just because of a game. If it wasn't for this game, I would have just gone home straight after a cup of coffee at the nearby coffeeshop.

Looks like I'm already off to a good start with this game, considering how I'm really liking even more now the AR mechanics: There's something amazing about a software that blends the reality around you with things from the virtual realm that you can interact with. However, the game still begs a question:

Will the novelty wear off in time?

I see folks of all ages playing the game, inclusive of school kids, working adults and elderly retirees. In short, the game demography spans across a truly wide spectrum. But people can be fickle or get tired towards anything, especially when things become too repetitive over time. If the gameplay doesn't evolve but remains the same for too long, I won't be surprised if the near future sees only hardcore players sticking with the game.

Also, considering how the game seems to make people's eyes get stuck on the screens of their phones as they move about, I wonder if accidents and nuisances to the public and even traffic can occur. There's gotta be some too engrossed idiot who trips into a drain or trespass into some area denied to the public or something worse coming soon to a news publication near you.

For me myself, I think if I should hit the point where I no longer see any gameplay replay value in the game but the same-old same-old rinse, wash and repeat, the novelty of this AR game, as intriguing as I find it to be, will certainly wear itself out on me. By then, I'll either stop playing or take a really loooong break, especially if another good AR game gets released. Heck, I'll jump straight to a survival horror AR game in a heartbeat if one should ever get released to please the horror fan that I am. So far in Pokémon Go, the scariest prospect for me is having no Pokéballs left when a Pokémon you don't have in your PokéDex spawns on the map. But that's not even scary according to my scare meter, that's just an annoyance.

Time will tell if Pokémon Go can last the test of time. It all depends on what Niantic does with it, that's for sure. But for now, I'm loving it.

Happy gaming and remember, folks: it's not worth getting yourself or anyone else hurt over a game, so stay safe while you catch 'em all.

No comments: